Sunday, March 25, 2012

My name

My name is Jessica Elaine Reed. I am my parent’s first child and they got a bouncy baby girl. My name was decided on by both my parents. They picked it purely because they liked it. They did not know at the time how it would become the most popular name for my age group. Thanks Mom and Dad! =) No, I actually really enjoy my name. I think it fits me and have never felt any shame because of it. I do get annoyed however when a teacher calls Jessica and 3 of us look in her direction.

My middle name came from my aunt, my mom’s sister. This is my mom’s best friend and she has been a big importance in my life. I can remember making the trip to Aunt Jackie’s house many times with my mother. She was not so fortunate like my mother who had 2 boys, 2 girls, she had all 4 boys. My mother being so close to my aunt is what gave me my middle name.

As for nicknames I have tons; Mouser, Jess, Reed, Reeder, J-rizzle. You name people have probably said it. The one nickname I did have a problem with was Jessie. I have a guy cousin on my mother’s side whose name is Jessie.  That was the only nickname I could not stand just because that wasn’t my name it was my cousins. The funny thing that I have learned through growing up is that most people who call me Jessie are older men and woman. So I do not try and correcting them because I do not want to think I am rude. I have learned to bite my tongue, but if my brother or sister trying calling me that I always beat them up. 

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, it was interesting to read how you got your name, as it is very similar to how my parents named me! My mom and dad gave me the name Stephanie because they liked it, not because it is associated with any important relatives. However, they do joke that the reason they chose it was because the tennis star Steffi Graf was really popular at the time I was born!

    My middle name, Elena, also came from my mom's sister, my aunt Ellen. My mom and my aunt are really close, and I also grew up going to my cousins' house in Iowa every summer! It's great to see how people's names can sometimes have a lot of meaning and sometimes not. Whatever the case, everyone has the chance to make their name mean something great, no matter where it came from!

    ReplyDelete