Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dreaming in American

We have discussed in class the book Dreaming in Cuban, but we were given the question what does it mean to be dreaming in Cuban.  I began by looking at this question not through Cuban but American. So I faced the question what does it mean to be dreaming in American?

America is the land of the free and home of the brave. I have been taught that being American means you can accomplish anything. Anything you can dream to do you can do. In many places are not so fortunate to be able to have such a choice.  In the book Dreaming in Cuban we see how Pilar, Celia, Felicia, ect. We read about the lives of these women and how they view the world.

I began thinking about how I view the world and how being American has affected my sight. Goshen College has allowed me to meet many different people from different places. If I was asked this question my freshman year I probably would not be able to answer it. I have taken classes and talked with people to learn that people go through many different experiences. America has not taught me fear as the woman in the book was taught. I have not need to worry about food or money they way many Latinos are forced to fear.

My family is a large happy family. I’m babysitting my cousin’s kids. Go shopping with my aunts and love getting our big family together for holidays. The farm helps to keep us close, but taught me about hard work and responsibility. I view he world as my playground and with hard work I can accomplish anything. Now that college is coming to an end I cannot wait to see what new dreams I will uncover with my journey. 

1 comment:

  1. Great picture of your family, Jessica!

    Good to ask what it means to dream in American--after all, the American dream is famous around the world. People look to us as a land of opportunity, where hard work can pay off in success--if not for you, then for your children.

    There's a lot of reflecting on the American dream in Dreaming in Cuban--can you tell us more about that?

    ReplyDelete