Friday, January 27, 2012

A day without a Mexican

A Day Without a Mexican, I found to be a very humorous film, but a very true film. As I watched the film I could not help but think of all the people I wanted to show this film too, including my parents. I would not necessarily call my family or friends racist, but defiantly misinformed just as I was. Many of the stereotypes discussed in the film are the same stereotypes that I believed in.  I was upset that so many Latinos came to American and did not speak English. I thought that they did take the “white” person job.  And I did not believe that illegal immigrants should be allowed to live here. That changed when I made Mexican friends and learned that they were not all legal. It changes your perspective to have a friend actually in the stereotype. Many illegal immigrants I know my own age have lived here, about the same amount of time I have.  I was also fortunate to meet a Mexican American male whom I am dating, and he and his family have opened my eyes up to their culture. I have learned how fortunate America is that there are Latinos. They taught me how most Mexicans can speak English they just choose not to because they do not want to communicate with us (white people). I then notice how Latinos take many of the jobs that white people will not do, jobs that we need such as the fruit pickers in the movie. One of my close friends may not be legal, but he told me how he has tried to get citizenship three times, every time being refused. His biggest passion is to gain citizenship and join in the Army. When I asked him why, he simply told me. I love this country, they have gave me everything, I just want to give back to it a little of what it has gave me. How do you answer this? I never could.

5 comments:

  1. The movie was very humorous. I know you Jessica and I could see why you thought it was funny to. You should show this movie to your roommates. They will laugh at it too.

    It is difficult for immigrants to become citizens. I'm sorry about your friend who was refused citizenship. People who are immigrants love this country just as much as you, me, and other Americans. I hope your friend does get citizenship so he can serve this country. I have relatives who want citizenship as well. They have families and all they want is to get an opportunity to take care of their family. Live that dream that citizens can have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate you being able to share with us your previous prejudices about latinos. It’s not easy to expose oneself like that, and I really appreciate you sharing. Especially because of how much it adds to the story of your transformation. Your concrete examples of relationships you know have that directly contradict your previous feelings are inspiring.

    I especially like your last comment, the example of your close friend who wants citizenship so that he can join the army and give back to the country he loves. This makes me think of Lila in the movie, who––though Armenian––ends up disappearing because she feels as if she is Latina, because of the way she was raised and lived her life. I imagine Lila’s feelings exactly parallel those of the Latinos who would benefit from the Dream Act, as outlined in that Monday convocation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, you and I talk all the time about prejudices and how it effects people in negative ways. I enjoy our conversations and to think, we watched a movie on it... LOL, anyway, I feel like the process of gaining citizenship is extremely difficult, that being due to terrorist threats and so on, but I am empathetic to your friend whom has been denied this privilege. He wants to do something good, and not being allowed to follow a dream because of skin color or cultural background is a definite shame on our society. I want to say I really appreciate how much you have grown within yourself and overcoming these issues of prejudice in your life. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having an openness to sharing about your personal journey with prejudice. I think the best way to combat these sort of feelings is through relationships. This is not to excuse ignorance, but simply to say that i think we have all been ignorant about something somewhere along the line.

    I think that intercultural relationships both present unique challenges and unique benefits. My Mom was born in Lima, Peru, and is a first generation immigrant with her family. She met my Dad in High School, who is white with family origins somewhere near what was a disputed German/Polish boarder. I know people against interracial marriage always cry, "think of the Children!" Personally, I would not trade my heritage for anything in the world. I personally think this concern has more to do with the fear of the next generation shedding white privilege.

    Anyways, I'm glad that your own journey and relationships have helped you enter into the big Latino family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, it sounds like you are very open to learning from others and to laughing at yourself--both great qualities for making friends across the invisible borders we humans are in the habit of putting up all around us. Thanks for sharing personal examples here--both of your own prejudices, and of the friends you've made who are struggling with immigration issues.

    ReplyDelete